Thursday 11 March 2010

Going Healthy

I got an email a while ago asking me to come back this summer to the camp I worked at last summer (let me know if you're interested in working there). Of course I said yes. Thinking about it however reminded me how unhealthy and out of shape I am. Well, I have a shape, I would just prefer it to not be round in nature. Regardless, I began to think about my lifestyle and propositioned myself to lead a healthier lifestyle.

I've been on a diet since the end of January, and it's actually working. I've lost some weight. Yay. I thought, it's not enough to just starve myself, I should be doing exercise as well. I've always enjoyed running, but I've never been able to do it properly. I always pushed myself beyond my own capabilities. I would say, "Alright, I'm gonna wake up Monday morning and go run and run every day this week." Of course I would push myself more than I should and wake up Tuesday morning barely able to move from how sore I was. I would still be sore on Friday and find that I hadn't run at all. Boo.

So, of course I was excited when I discovered the Couch to 5K Running Plan. I across the program by accident on the Apple Store. It was one of the apps listed for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I did some research on the program and it seemed brilliant. It's basically designed to condition your body to be able to run. It makes you run 3 days a week for 9 weeks. Perfect! I realized there were more than one app offering the program, but I later found a podcast that gave it to me free!

Last week, I started Week 1. I ran Monday and felt exhausted. I ran Wednesday and felt alright. I ran Friday and felt brilliant. I can only say that I was excited about doing well.

This past Monday, I started Week 2, and then I threw out my back. The funniest thing is that the only thing I was upset about was not being able to run on Wednesday. I'm still not 100% and I'm still upset about not being able to run, but I am still dedicated to becoming a runner. So, yeah. Hopefully, by next week, I can pick up where I left off and get back on track.

I even ordered some running shoes. I used this cool search engine on Runner's World to find the appropriate shoes to use. I wasn't willing to spend crazy amounts of money, so I got the cheapest ones. I just got them on Wednesday, and I'm super excited to use them.

So yea. The whole point of this is that I want people to be aware of the fact that I am trying to get in shape and stop going on eating binges. Please feel free to slap food away from me or to motivate me to run.

I'll try to update often on my progress, but I'll definitely be tweeting about it at @ctrejo86.

Peace & Love.

0 comments: